I had my first chemo today. I was at the clinic for 9 hours. I'm doing okay but am ready to rest, hoping to fend off nausea. I gained 3 1/2 lbs. today from the drugs and lack of activity! I ate somewhat indulgently (had some hot chocolate this morning, tortilla soup for lunch and some small cookies this afternoon). Dinner was more modest. I'll have to see how my body responds. At bedtime, which may be very soon, I'll take the Phenergan to prevent nausea and help me sleep.
The nurses were good, helpful and thorough. A few seats away from me a young woman who was having her final chemo treatment for breast cancer had a little goodbye celebration, complete with cascarones (confetti eggs), pictures taken with the medical team, and ice cream for everyone in the infusion room. On her way out, she rang a bell and a windchime mounted on the wall for this very purpose. Truly a great way to leave this experience! I look forward to my own ringing of the bell and happy (victorious!) goodbye pictures.
It was wonderful to have visits from LM and LW today. There are definitely some good things coming of this cancer. I believe I can learn to be a better friend to others by seeing how good it feels to be on the receiving end of this kindness and love. I even got a phone call from HC -- amazing.
I can go to bed happy tonight. Tomorrow I'll see three clients, Buddha willing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment