Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tomorrow is the Day

Tomorrow I'll have my first chemotherapy. I've been told it will be a long day. I'll start at 8:30a.m. and be done about 6-8 hours later. I got to talk with LM today about her experiences. That was helpful. She said it isn't painful when they draw blood from the portacath (hooray -- this had been one of my fears) and that the chemo drip and other procedures were not really painful at all for her. What a relief.

...It's funny the minor things that bring me pleasure in the midst of this ordeal: I'm glad I can dress casual tomorrow and not wear make-up. No work attire for me! And, if I'm drowsy from the Benedryl they give me, I can just sit back, relax, watch TV and doze. I did buy a new book to take with me. It's Julie Powell's new memoir, "Cleaving," about her apprenticeship learning the art of butchering and the rollercoaster ride of her marriage.

I will wear the protection bracelet that RM made for me that has the group's energy in it. And as LM suggested, I plan to visualize the chemo as healing, loving energy streaming into my body to make me well. What I'm hearing from L is: to take care of myself, take it easy, don't demand of myself the kind of work schedule I might if none of this were happening. (The truth is, I would also like to do some art again soon.)

Dan and I went dancing last night at the Broken Spoke. It was great fun. I have accomplished one of my dreams. Dan actually enjoyed it too. Who knows, maybe we'll go again.

And now, to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment