Sunday, June 13, 2010

Learning by Trial and Error

Yesterday started out well -- Dan and I decided to go on the Austin Pond Society tour and we visited several homes with ponds of varying sizes. I was so ready to do something fun! I knew I was a little weak and also that I would not be able to tolerate wearing my wig, so I wore a scarf tied around my head gypsy-style. The day was hot and it wasn't long before I was feeling fatigued. We kept pushing on to visit more ponds but by the last one, I stayed in the air-conditioned car while Dan toured the pond. Once we got home I went immediately to bed, plagued by unremitting nausea. I realize in hindsight that I overdid it. It was just too much exertion and heat, too hard to stay hydrated and cool.

After yesterday's experience I vowed that today I would just rest. And thankfully, that's been working. I feel better. Lots of lying in bed, some reading and some dozing off into pleasant little naps. ...I've started reading Sarah Silverman's autobiography, The Bedwetter. It's a fast read -- sometimes funny, sometimes alarming, just the thing to get my mind on something entertaining and distracting.

I also have been listening to Marion Woodman (Jungian analyst) on tape, talking about her cancer experiences. Her first oncologist insisted she only had 2 months to live. Having a much more positive attitude herself, she asked him if he would be happy to see her sitting before him in 6 months. He said "No," and she promptly fired him! Good decision! And what a great example of how to take a proactive approach to her own medical care.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,

    I haven't checked in for a while and obviously have missed a lot -- a rough round of chemo, the hatching of owlets, etc. You write about it all very beautifully and vividly. At my house, we're big Monk fans and I can't watch the psychiatrist sessions on the show without thinking of you. (I have a few therapist friends actually, but you are the one I think of.) Will check in more often. Hope you feel better soon.

    xo Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear from you, Ralph. I appreciate your well wishes and your being so attuned. ...I've only seen one episode of "Monk," may check out more. My cousin is a big fan and never misses it.
    ox,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete