Friday, April 9, 2010

Relieved and Encouraged ...After Another Hard Night

Last night was another awful night. Not due to chemo side effects but this unrelated upper respiratory congestion and coughing I've been having. Minimal sleep, couldn't get comfortable for more than about 5 seconds at a time. It was making me depressed and scared -- feeling that I just couldn't get back to feeling somewhat normal again. I was lonely. Coughing alone, turning on the lights alone, heating up some salt water alone for a nasal irrigation, and wishing, wishing, wishing I could just fall asleep for a couple of uninterrupted hours.

I saw my regular doctor this afternoon and now feel encouraged. He said he thought what I have is likely to be the early stages of bronchitis. The good news: he gave me 2 prescriptions -- an antibiotic and a cough syrup with codeine. Both are supposed to make me drowsy. (Hooray!) So I'm hoping to have a better night's sleep tonight. And I'll be very happy if the antibiotic knocks this nasty congestion out of my system.

I am full of drugs. I am a chemical soup! And the usual things I would take in the past -- various supplements and vitamins -- are now verboten for fear they would interfere with the chemo.

Today I called to get information about support groups and "buddy" parings for chemo patients. I'd like to have a buddy I could stay in touch with as we each go through this process.

Saw "Screechie," our screech owl this afternoon poking her head out of the owl box out back. Very cute! We think she's sitting on eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment