This morning I got up at 6:30, feeling I had the chutzpah to head to the kitchen and take those Prednisone pills. (Do it now before I have time to think!) I assembled all my pills and everything else I needed and then looked out the kitchen window. One of the fledgling screech owls was sitting in the birdbath looking fluffy and cute!
I hollered to Dan who was still in bed. He jumped up to join me and we watched as first one owl, then another (also a fledgling), and finally papa and mama owl all took baths. It was wonderful. At one point 3 owls were all within easy eyeshot -- one in the bath and two perched nearby on a huge and gnarly ash juniper root. (I call it "the Root of Medusa.") We stood watching with our binoculars for 20 minutes, feeling so privileged that these owls feel comfortable and happy in our yard, with our birdbath, and with two eager, benign spectators. We have lots of fun speculating what the owls are thinking, totally allowing ourselves to anthropomorphize them to our hearts' content!
What a lovely start to the day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is just the BEST EVER!!! I am so envious but happy that the two of you have something so very special in your own back yard!! Love, Hope
ReplyDeleteYes, Hope, it is the best! Wish you could have seen it with us!! Definitely a bright spot in our day today. Love, Jane
ReplyDeleteWe must remember this . . . another proof that something good can come out of yuck. If you hadn't had to get up for those darn pills, you would have slept in and missed this wonderful time with your feathery family. I hope this will be a good day!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, Mary Sue! And thanks for your good wishes. oxox, Jane
ReplyDelete